Sunday, November 22, 2020

FOR YOUR INFORMATION, FRIENDS

I have posted a manuscript - Ruminating Sarala Mahabharata -  the link to which is the following: https://works.bepress.com/bibudhendra_patnaik/17/

Written more than ten years ago, this manuscript was partially edited (the first 50 pages) two years ago. It is also incomplete. The last chapter is yet to be written. I hope I will re-work on this manuscript some day soon. I have posted it in this incomplete and unedited form all the same. Barring, perhaps, a very few, this manuscript deals with episodes not discussed elsewhere, to the best of my knowledge.

2 comments:

Hrushikesha Mohanty said...

Sir Namaskar !

Looking forward to the book !
Why are Mahabharat stories so lively for all the days?
Retelling its stories tells it aloud.

warm regards
hm

B.N.Patnaik said...

Namaste!

My comment got erased. Let me rewrite. Given my commitments this year, I will be able to work on the ms. only early next year. Not much remains to be done. So even this half-edited and incomplete ms. can be read now.

As for the eternal popularity of the Mahabharata story, there can be many possible answers. One could be this: (a) It appeals to the intellect, imagination and emotion. It is thus, illuminating with respect to the human situation in the world and the way the story is told, touches the reader. The narrative is both worldly and transcedental. (b) It is the human's story, not God's, unlike Srimad Bhagavata. Sarala says his retelling is Krishna's lila, but it is so only at the shuksma (subtle) level.At the more explicit level, it is the story of the Kuru clan.

Best regards!